2022 Senior Art Show – Union County Art Shows
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
2022 Union County
The elderly ART EXHIBITION
Sponsored by the Union County Board of Commissioners through the Office of Cultural Affairs and Heritage, Department of Parks and Recreation
Professional and non-professional artists | 60 and over
We are pleased to present a solo exhibition this year.
Thursday April 21
Register online here
Online registration is mandatory. Scroll down this page ⬇️
Deposit of works of art
Monday April 25 | 10am–1.30pm
From Thursday 28 April to Wednesday 11 May | 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily | closed on Mondays
Closing Reception and Artwork Pickup
Wednesday May 11
Reception and Prize Giving: 11:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m.
Collection of works: 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
Trailside Nature and Science Center
452 New Providence Road, Mountainside NJ 07092
Located in Watchung Game Reserve
Any artist age 60 or older, currently residing in Union County, may submit an entry. It must be an original work of art made within the last three years. Entry cannot be an artwork that has already entered the Union County Seniors Art Exhibit.
RANKING OF ARTISTS
PROFESSIONAL: Person meeting at least 2 of the following qualifications:
- sold his art through commercial channels including galleries, online galleries, craft shows, art exhibitions, etc.
- is (or was) a professional member of a guild or artistic association
- has exhibited for 2 years or more in professional galleries and/or professional art exhibitions *
- had works selected for 2 or more juried arts or crafts exhibitions *
- received 2 or more awards for their artwork *
*EXCEPTIONS: These are not do not apply if you entered the job only in this Union County Senior Art Exhibit.
NON-PROFESSIONAL: A person who does not meet 2 or more of the above criteria for a professional.
- Acrylic paint
- Arts and crafts – unique original creations only; craft kits or molds cannot be entered
- digital art – artwork generated or significantly modified with computer graphics software (this category does not include digital photography)
- Mixed media – the artwork combines two or more mediums, none of which is clearly predominant; includes gluing and assembly
- Oil painting
- Pastel – includes chalk and oil pastel
- Engraving – includes etching, etching, lithography, woodcut, monotype, monotype, serigraphy, etc.
- Photography – includes photographs taken with a film or digital camera
- Sculpture – any work designed in three dimensions, sculpted or constructed on any medium (with the exception of certain crafts); abstract or figurative; painted or unpainted
- watercolor painting – includes gouache
- Works on paper (Drawing) – includes works drawn by hand in media such as charcoal, pencil, pen, ink, graphite, crayon or stylus of any kind
RULES AND REQUIREMENTS FOR ILLUSTRATIONS AND DISPLAY
- The entry must be original creation of the artist. Reproductions (such as giclées or other digital copies) of artwork will not be accepted. Artwork made using a kit or by copying someone else’s work will not be accepted.
- Any hanging artwork, including photos and crafts cannot exceed 30″ in any dimension, and cannot be less than 10″ in any dimension. Measure the artwork, including the frame.
- 3D sculpture or craft cannot exceed 20″ in any dimension (for 3D work, measurements should include any base). The work cannot exceed 40 pounds. Jewelry should be mounted for display (not loose) and can be framed for hanging if desired.
- Works must be delivered “ready to display” on April 25.
- 2D suspension work must be framed and wired safely (with screw eyes). Saw hooks are not accepted. Matting is recommended. Canvas paintings do not need to be matted/framed, but the edges should be painted or finished.
- Protect 2D artwork if necessary with Plexiglas, Mylar, or other transparent protective material. We strongly recommend using plexiglass (not glass), to avoid damage to the artwork. Plexiglas (not glass) is required for 2D hanging artwork that exceeds 24 inches in any dimension.
- The work must be tagged with a completed 2022 artwork tag. Download the label below. If necessary (if you don’t have a printer), a label will be given to you when you drop off.
- Any entry valued at over $399 must be insured by the artist via his home/rental insurance or via a fine arts endorsement; and the the name of the insurance company must be provided with registration. Typically, artwork is covered up to approximately $399 under a standard homeowners insurance policy.
- Enter your work in the correct category, according to the list below. Misclassified works will be moved to the appropriate category at the discretion of staff or jurors.
- Register your application online on this web page using the form below. If you don’t have an email address, a friend or relative can register on your behalf using their email address; or call 908-558-2552 for assistance (weekdays).
ARTWORK DELIVERY INSTRUCTIONS
- Prepare artwork in accordance with all of the above requirements.
- Clearly fill in the artwork label and stick it securely on the back of the 2D hanging art to the lower right corner. For freestanding 3D artwork, stick the label on the base. It can be attached lightly to 3D work.
- Deliver the artwork to the Trailside Nature & Science Center on Monday, April 25 between 10 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.
- Every possible precaution is taken to protect the artwork, but Union County does not insure the artwork on display and assumes no responsibility for any loss or damage incurred. Therefore, artwork valued over $399 must be insured and the artist must provide the name of the insurance company upon check-in.
- After delivery, the artwork should not be deleted of the exhibition until May 11, when the staff signs the artwork and give it to the artist or representative of the artist.
- Pick up your work* on May 11, between 1 p.m. and 3 p.m., after the closing reception. To avoid damage to artwork, only staff will remove artwork and each piece will be signed.
* 1st place awarded artwork is automatically entered into the NJ Senior Art Show at the state level and does not need to be picked up. County staff will store and transport the 1st place artwork to the state exhibit in the fall.
For questions or assistance with registration, contact the Union County Office of Cultural Affairs and Heritage at 908-558-2552 (NJ Relay Service: 711) or email firstname.lastname@example.org .